Wednesday, September 8, 2010

almost end of week 3

It's funny, my classmates and I keep referring to 'when we start school'...meaning, when we begin the didactic portion of school. These first 8 weeks are all following 4th years on clinical rotations, so, the outside of clinics work is minimal and therefore, doesn't feel like 'school' yet....But it is fun and I am learning a lot.

Some things I have learned:
Horses get LOTS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS. it's not just their feet and their crazy a** digestive systems, it's their eyes too! One of our horse patients got melting ulcers and surgical implants in his eyes of a cyclosporin impant! neat-O, huh?

Eyes are fascinating. Some people choose to get prosthetic eyeballs for their blind pets because it's less disturbing to have them than eyelids sewn shut. eyoo.

Most of the people in my class are extremely friendly and I believe, generally excited to be in vet school. And nobody seems to mind or notice that I'M OLD. (though I hear there are older people than me in my class...)

4th year vet students don't get much rest.

I am ending an equine rotation this week, it has been a LOT of rounding and some learning about general anatomy and doing physical exams and lameness checks, but overall, am looking forward to next week....Surgical Skills!

2 comments:

  1. SO happy to find your blog :) I'm in my early 30s and have loads of prereqs to do... but I'm also in the process of preparing to go to vet school. Hopefully in the fall of 2013. Years away, but I'm in it for the long haul. Keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! glad to hear of another person pursuing their dream! I am living testament that-it CAN BE DONE. best of luck to you..!

    ReplyDelete